Electricity is the lifeblood of modern living. From turning the lights on in the morning, to powering your work laptop to keeping the television and gaming console going while you are relaxing, electricity and the home comforts powered by it like your kettle, boiler, central heating and washing machine are integral. When something goes wrong with either the appliance itself, the associated wiring or a problem that is more systemic in the wiring of your house, it is not something that should be done in a DIY manner unless you have the extensive training to do so, lest you incur more hazardous and problematic issues later on down the line. This blog post details some of the important considerations you should bear in mind when you need an electrician in Cardiff.
Benefits of Hiring a Cardiff Electrician
When it comes to the wiring in your house and certain appliances, hiring someone who can work throughout your house with the same high level of skill is ideal. Electricians in Cardiff are local professionals who are nationally licensed and government regulated. All of the tradespeople registered with the company are highly recommended and take a personalised, professional approach to every job.
Electricians in Cardiff cover not just Cardiff itself but also throughout South Wales as well. With over 30 years experience in the industry with expertise in both domestic and commercial electrical engineering, our electricians are capable of adeptly responding to both routine and emergency electrical problems. Our electricians cover examinations, screening and installations among their repertoire.
What to Look For When Hiring an Electrician in Cardiff
Given the importance of electricity in modern daily living, it is of utmost importance that you select an electrician who is skilled, experienced and knows what they are doing.
All electricians should be government regulated. What’s more, they should not be afraid to produce their accreditation and qualifications when asked. All tradespeople should be working according to the BS 7671 standards which are enforced legally.
All tradespeople should be regularly assessed, insured and have a legal requirement to be registered. It is suggested that any tradesperson you hire should have public liability insurance of at least £2 million.
When it comes to hiring an electrician in Cardiff, there are a few steps that you can take to ensure that you pick the right person. First off, ask for their qualifications and accreditation. Contact the companies that they mention to double-check. There are two types of licensing – journeymen licensing (similar to a diver’s permit) and a full electrician’s license. While not all people who are learning on the job are going to be bad, depending on the job that you want doing, someone with the full license is going to be better to get the job done competently. On a similar note, don’t go for unlicensed individuals just because you know them or they are recommended by a friend or family member – “Oh, Bob does that sort of stuff, I’ll send him round.” While some recommendations can be positive if there are licensed and accredited professionals in your circles, be cautious – do the legwork to check the qualifications and accreditation of the person you are recommended.
Word of mouth is important. It has remained a strong and consistent marketing technique even with the progression of digital technology giving way to marketplaces and online reviews. People talk. Ask around among your friends, acquaintances and local area regarding the tradesperson you are considering. Look for negative reviews as well as positive ones. Be critical of what you read.
Electricians in Cardiff competently offer a range of services from routine inspections to make sure that everything is running as it should through to responding to emergencies such as your boiler breaking or exposed wiring.
The services covered include but are not limited to:
- Regular maintenance
- Installing and wiring
- Smoke/fire alarm inspections and repairs
- Telephone point/socket inspections
- Electric boiler repair/installation
- Central heating fixing/assessments
- Security camera installation/servicing
- Power failure checks
With expertise that has been developed through years of experience and training, Electricians in Cardiff provide full engineering services and repairs backed by a consistent dedication to the industry and to meeting the high standards required of all electrical professionals.
Quality and Standards
In the electrical engineering industry, there are certain acronyms and key words to look out for when it comes to selecting a trade professional. Here are a few that you should become familiar with:
- BS 7671 Standards: The Requirements for Electrical Installations. IET Wiring Regulations. Also known colloquially as ‘The Regs’, these are the national standards for electrical wiring safety and the standard for electrical installations. These standards are what every assessing body, tradesperson body and individual electrician should adhere to when working.
- NAPIT: This stands for the National Association of Professional Inspectors and Traders. Formed initially as a Trade Association in 1992, it is now one of the UK’s leading accreditation services approved by the government. It also serves as a directory of registered installers.
- NICEIC: National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting. With over 50 years experience, the NICEIC conduct regular regulations-based training and assess the work of UK electrical enterprises in the UK.
- ELECSA: ELECSA are a leading certified body of UK electrical engineers and electricians. With over 15 years experience, they keep a directory of over 8,000 contractors. All contractors registered with them are required to take and pass an annual assessment.
If the tradesperson that you select is not certified with one of the above bodies and is not listed on a directory, we recommend looking for someone else. You want a tradesperson
When it comes to choosing a tradesperson to examine or repair your electrical appliances or systems, Electricians in Cardiff are experienced, professional and versatile in terms of what hazards and inspections they can handle. Electrician Cardiff is the place to go for electrical industry professionals in Cardiff and the rest of South Wales.